|watercolour doodle that I painted recently|
This drive may have been influenced by my sexually enthusiastic friend or my unenthused school sex education. If sexuality in all its forms is so key to humanity, health and happiness I do wonder why in the UK at least it is not freely discussed in schools alongside our compulsory doses of Math, Science and English? Where was porn, masturbation, erotica, body positivity, communication tatics, BDSM, real anatomical explanations, sexuality, gender, intersexuality amongst a multitude of other topics on the curriculum? Luckily for me the internet filled, and continues to fill those gaps, yet what of those who do not have internet access or find information too late or just may not have the initial curiosity? For their sake I do hope all those screaming about the insidious effect of sex heavy media on our teens will turn their fervourent voices to the advocacy of clear, inclusive and critical sex education.
In my own journey I hope to find a place were my fervoured support will soon be of use. In the meantime I’d love to point you in the direction of some of the sexy things I’ve been watching and reading:-
- Laci Green's Sex+ is a one stop video shop for informative friendly sex ed, and you can also find her at her other channel A Naked Notion.
- Scarleteen is similiar to Sex+ but in the written format, giving the chance for more in depth discussion.
- Sexplanations is a new channel run by the very cute, but also really informative sextologist (cool job title!) Dr Doe. She talks "basics" but also things you may not know about (or atleast I didn't!)
- The Untitled Mag isn't devoted to sex, but definitley deals with it. Sadly they haven't posted in a while.
- The Pop-Up Musuem of Queer History is really important, and I also happen to be a history geek.
- Heavy-Petting just makes you happy.
- Fuck Yeah, Sex Positivity! is what it says on the tin and is my newest addictive find.
- This performance by Hari Nef hopefully will make you think.
- And to throw one more in, I love Arabelle Sicardi's fashion blog, but also like to check her tumblr Its Whatever, and I've been trying to make my way through her list of films through the feminst & queer gaze.
(ps let me know of anything sexy I should also be consuming below)